The top tourist attractions in Belgium rarely cross people’s minds because when they think of visiting Europe, they automatically want to go to France, Italy or the United Kingdom. What most people fail to recognize is that there are tons of other countries in the continent that provide as much diversity and fun as the aforementioned, maybe even more.
Belgium is a small federal state found in Western Europe with a long history of colonization by strong kingdoms including the French and the Germans. But in spite of its tumultuous past, it does offer visitors a lot of beautiful and heartwarming sites which include the following:
- The Madonna of Bruges – This fine marble sculpture found in the Church of Our Lady, is actually one of Michelangelo’s finest works. And contrary to other depictions of the Madonna and Child, in this particular form of art, Jesus is standing and looking down on Mary, thus making it both striking and unique. The Church also houses other masterpieces including Anthony van Dyck’s Crucifixion, the Deposition of the Cross as well as the Supper at Emmaus. Hence, people do not only get to have a religious immersion in here but also a cultural and artistic orientation as well.
- The Groeninge Musuem – Also found in Bruges, this culturally significant landmark of Belgium actually houses six centuries of Flemish and Belgian paintings from artists like Jan van Eyck, Nicolaes Maes, and Adriaen Isenbrandt, to name a few. The theme ranges from Renaissance to Baroque and there are also selections on 18th and 19th century realist, neo-classical and expressionism, as well as post-war modern art.
- Antwerp – Known as one of the most beautiful cities in Belgium, Antwerp is known as the diamond capital of the world. The lion share of all diamonds pass through and are sold in Antwerp at some point. The people of this quaint city are known as some of the friendliest in in the country and its beautiful city squares are a sight to see. Don’t miss out on of the award winning river cruises as well to see the city from a new perspective.
- Ardennes – This entry to the top tourist attractions in Belgium is actually a region in the country that is overrun by rolling hills, ridges and forests. Those looking for a fun weekend trekking, climbing, biking and camping will surely have a blast in this destination. But what is interesting to find here are some ruins and remnants of the Battle of the Bulge which took place in 1944 which contributed to the early win of the German forces during World War II.
- Ghent – Finally, those who have an appreciation of Belgium’s economy would definitely enjoy site-seeing in its biggest industrial conurbation. Here, people will be able to appreciate the facilities that made the country great in terms of exporting chemicals, cars, paper, as well as optical, engineering, and electronic components. Some of its well-known infrastructures are the Graslei harbor and the massive factories that line the Ghent-Terneuzen Canal.
Given this list of top tourist attractions in Belgium, hopefully you’d feel more inclined to stop by when you are backpacking through Europe. And if these highlights are not too appealing for you, local food offering will surely make you feel satisfied with your stay.