Although there’s no news about nutrition supplements that made it to the front page, it’s quite evident that these products are becoming more and more popular in the past few years. It’s not clear what brought this rise in popularity, but if you dig deeper into the market, you’ll see that there are several reasons why people use nutrition supplements. These include:
Table of Contents
1. Save You Time And Effort
One of the main reasons people use nutrition supplements is that they carry fewer risks than other methods. For instance, if you want to increase your muscle mass, you have to spend more time with your workout routine. On the other hand, if you consume protein supplements, like Optimum Nutrition, you can boost your muscle growth with minimal effort.
In other words, you can save not only effort, but also your time. The same goes for other types of supplements. If your goal is to lose weight, you need to undergo an arduous process. You need to eat less, exercise more intensely, and sleep more. Although you can’t completely substitute this process with nutrition supplements, you can quickly reduce the amount of effort and time required to accomplish the same results.
2. Help People With Health Problems
People use nutrition supplements for various reasons, but most of their purpose is to meet their body’s minimum nutrition requirements. However, people who suffer from problems use nutrition supplements because it’s their only way to maintain their healthy lifestyle. Examples of these people include:
- Pregnant Women: While undergoing pregnancy, women will require folate or folic acid so the fetus can have proper development. For that reason, pregnant women need more folate than usual. To be precise, women require 400 micrograms of folic acid every day, but those who are pregnant or are expecting should have an intake of up to 800 micrograms of folic acid, and supplements can help them accomplish this.
- Senior Citizens: As you may already know, everyone needs to maintain their nutrition. Lack of certain nutrients can lead to problems. Unfortunately, studies show that you become prone to deficiencies in nutrients like vitamin D, vitamin B12, iron, calcium, and more as you age. One way to prevent any health risks is to use nutrition supplements.
- People With Digestive Problems: Scientists have already discovered numerous digestive problems, and some of them cause individuals to have difficulty absorbing nutrients. If that’s the case, nutrition supplements are necessary to keep a healthy body.
- Vegetarians: Some may also have diets restricting them from eating a particular food group. For example, if you’re a vegan, you should be avoiding meat and the like, but they’re necessary for protein intake. Consuming protein supplements can solve this problem so you may not suffer from the consequences of your diet.
Since these people can’t do anything but endure their situation, a product that provides nutrition with minimal risks is like their last hope of maintaining their healthy body. However, that doesn’t mean that nutrition supplements are of the essence for everybody. Some also use these products as a booster for their post-workouts.
3. Improve Performance
No matter how hard athletes work, they will always hit their limits. They call this their peak performance, but it’s not set in stone. Research shows that depending on the effectiveness of a nutrition supplement, it can drastically boost the performance and stamina of athletes, muscle builders, or any individual participating in physical activities.
Experts claim that this is the safest way to increase performance, safer than alternatives like steroids. This is because steroids affect the whole body and stimulate cells that aren’t supposed to be altered. On the other hand, nutrition supplements only provide necessary nutrients that promote muscle growth, and recovery, among others. Because of this, they cause little to no harm to the body. Some examples of these kinds of supplements are:
- Branched-chain amino acids
Besides providing the necessary nutrients to boost performance, nutrition supplements are also known to have a positive effect on a person’s immune system.
4. Strengthen Immune System
Certain nutrients have a direct relation to your immune system. When a person is rich in these nutrients, their immune system is likely more vigorous than other individuals. Examples of these nutrients include, but not limited to:
- Vitamin A: One of the causes of diseases is an infection, and Vitamin A is a nutrient that fights off these infections, effectively preventing diseases from attacking the body.
- Vitamin E: Another nutrient that can fight off infections is vitamin E, and it mostly comes from plant-based foods.
- Iron: Consuming iron is one of the best ways to improve oxygen transportation into your cells, allowing your immune system to become more active than usual.
As previously said, as you grow older, your body will find it harder to absorb nutrients, like vitamin A, vitamin E, iron, and other nutrients involved in your immune system’s functions. Perhaps, this is why senior citizens are more susceptible to diseases. Fortunately, supplements can be an effective way to keep your body healthy, at least in the meantime.
A Word Of Caution
Most nutrition supplements are safe for consumption, unless you decide to neglect the instructions from the brand. In that case, you can expect to experience issues such as:
- Liver damage
- Congenital disabilities
The main reason why people tend to experience these issues is that having too much of a particular nutrient often leads to health risks. If malnutrition can lead to health problems, it’s only natural for overnutrition to do the same. Hence, it’s not advisable to consume too many nutrition supplements. Consume only what’s suggested by the brand. That’s what instructions are for.
Although nutrition supplements are, indeed, more accessible and affordable than their alternatives, it’s much better to get the nutrients you need through actual food. For one, it’s easy to suffer from overnutrition if you only rely on nutrition supplements. However, research on supplements is not complete, so there’s a possibility to improve this product in the future.